Well, we've made it through the first six weeks of school and we're still all breathing. The students have been working very hard in their adjustment to college-level work, but are doing a fantastic job. I'm sure that you are all aware of the fact that we have just finished our first unit test. The test covered such topics as early river valley civilizations, world religions, the Greeks, and the Romans. And, as I'm sure you've realized, tests are an essential component of this class, making up 50% of your child's grade. I should say, I was extremely impressed with the amount of students that showed up for study sessions. On this note, I would like to thank all of the parents who helped make our saturday study session not only productive, but delicious! Your students have since received their test grades and as of this past monday we have transitioned to Unit 2. We are currently studying trade networks, and by next week, at the latest, we will be investigating the origins of Islam. A few other things you may wish to ask your children about include:
* Their summer reading essays on Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. The students have their grades on these and they count as tests, so please understand the importance of this assignment. Also, ask your children about Diamond's thesis and arguments as they have analyzed both in great depth.
* Their group PowerPoint projects on religion. For this assignment, students received two quiz grades (one based off their group performance and one based off their individual performance).
* Their first Socratic Seminar (and why some of your students may have left for school last friday wearing a toga).
Thank you parents for taking a special interest in your child's education. Again, I hope to maintain a steady stream of information concerning our class through this site, so check back often. Also, please if you have any questions concerning your child's individual progress, e-mail me at benschinef@fultonschools.org
Mr. Benschine
1 comment:
Mr. B..this is a wonderful display of our everyday involvement in AP World. I just have to say that I love all of the pictures...I wonder who took them?
P.S. Do you have a picture and I'm just not seeing it?
Post a Comment